Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Christmas eve bedtime conversation with the kids:

Tuck: Mama, is Santa real?
Me: I am not going to answer that question, Tucker. What do you think?
Tuck: Yes!
Emi: No!
Me: No? Why not, Emi?
Emi: Because I've never seen Santa.
Me: But there are lots of things in the world that you've never seen. And lots of people. Like, uh, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy!
Tuck: And ghosts. We've never seen a ghost, either!
Me: Okay ... but there actually is no such thing as a ghost.
Tuck: And bears! We've never seen a bear.
Me: I've seen a bear.

[Conversation derails into discussion of the time Nana and I saw a grizzly bear eating berries next to the road in Glacier National Park.]

If a person did want to convince a small child of Santa's existence, it would be easier now than ever in the past. There are a lot of funny Santa-tracking and Santa-sighting videos on YouTube, not to mention NORAD's Santa tracking site.

For the record -- Santa came. Unseen by all, or most. Apparently, he is partial to chocolate cookies, milk, and pistachio nuts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Riona said...

in Ireland we leave a glass of whiskey out for Santa.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home