The kids show a funny mix of sophistication and simplicity at their current age (nearly 4 now!)
Trying to sing the kids to sleep last night, I came up with the old Sesame Street Song, "Sing a Song," which includes the lyrics, "Sing of good things, not bad / Sing of happy, not sad"...
Emi interrupted me at this point. "I sing the blues, but it's the happy blues, Mama."
Me: "Um, what are the happy blues, exactly?"
Emi (to the approximate tune of "I Am Woman"): "My friend didn't leave me / A burglar didn't steal my stuff / My truck never broke / And I never died."
Then today, Emi was very concerned because we left two tall candles burning on the dinner table while we cleared before dessert. Trying to keep her occupied for a few moments, I suggested that she might keep an eye on them to make sure they stayed safe until we came back with the pumpkin pie.
I got preoccupied with loading the dishwasher. The next thing I knew, more than 10 minutes had passed when a small voice came from the dining room --
Emi: "Mama? I'm getting kind of tired of watching these candles. They don't ever do anything different."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home