Sunday, October 14, 2007

Still working on teaching Emi what's polite and not polite to say to other people.

This morning at breakfast, over poofy apple pancakes, she announced that she was very smart (because she thought of a new food to try, cinnamon apple dipped in syrup). This touched off a long discussion of what "smart" means and of why it's best to keep some thoughts to ones self.

Emi: When I think of something I say it right away.
James: That's not always a good idea. For example, if I got a new sweater and I was really happy about it, but you thought it was ugly, it wouldn't be nice to say "That sweater is ugly!" You might say, "That's an interesting sweater," or even just, "I see you got a new sweater."
James: Let's practice. I got a new sweater and you think it's ugly, okay? What do you say?
Tuck: That sweater is interesting.
James: Good! Emi, what do you say?
Emi: Take that sweater OFF!

This concept is something of a work in progress.

After polishing off their pancakes, Tuck and Emi have headed off to work at "Pretend Popcap" with James (on Emi's bed), Tuck with his fake laptop (flip-up lid of a wipes container) and Emi with her toy cell phone. James is currently teaching them how to hold a meeting. On the agenda: what kind of pizza to have for lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home