Monday, May 10, 2004

Changing table disaster! Today we had the worst changing table mess that Chrissy, our baby wrangler, has ever seen in all her years of working in daycare. I will spare you the play-by-play. I will say only that I put down a clean boy baby on the table and by the end of this fiasco I picked one up again. In the interim I went through: three diapers, eight disposable wipes, five damp washcloths, two terrycloth changing pad covers, two onesies and two pajama suits for him, and two shirts for me. And the boy baby, who shall remain nameless here, then required a second bath, calling for one more towel, three more washcloths, and a fourth diaper. All the dirty laundry ended up rolled up at my feet in what I can only characterize as a poop roulade (lately James and I have kept getting offered various types of roulades in restaurants -- rolled up beef, spinach, chocolate, etc -- but I must say I will view them with a somewhat jaundiced eye in future).

I could definitely have handled the situation with less dirty laundry being created, but for some reason was trying really hard to keep the changing pad cover clean. Somehow one just doesn't think clearly when poop is jetting across the changing table towards one's shirt. We joked later that the only possible preparation new parents could have for this kind of crisis would be a drill involving a balloon filled with chocolate pudding. Your partner would unpredictably put pressure on the balloon as you tried to get it into a clean diaper and clothes ...

In more important but less dramatic news, we are happily now back at home, but not for long because today our house sold, to a really nice couple -- two nurses -- and the teenage son of one of them, who will live in the basement apartment. Closing is later this month but we can stay until sometime in June.

On the baby front, today was all about left-right coordination. Emi using just her right foot to kick at a hanging toy, not kicking both feet frog style as they have been doing. Tuck figuring out that he could hold one toy in each hand and wave them both around, smiling and "ha"ing delightedly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home